My main area of interest is the evolution of diversity in pathogens, with particular reference to the infectious disease agents that are responsible for malaria, influenza and bacterial meningitis. I use simple mathematical models to generate new hypotheses regarding the processes that determine the population structure of these pathogens. I work closely with laboratory and field scientists both to develop these hypotheses and to test them.
I have an interest in the public understanding of science and also in the connections between science and literature at the level of language and narrative (see www.sunetragupta.com ).
Phone: +44 (0) 1865 281225
- Ashby B & Gupta S (2013) Sexually transmitted infections in polygamous mating systems. Phil Trans R Soc B: 368(1613):20120048. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2012.0048.
- Piel, F.B., Hay, S.I., Gupta, S., Weatherall, D.J. & Williams, T.N. (2013) Global burden of sickle cell anaemia in children under five, 2010–2050: modelling based on demographics, excess mortality, and interventions. PLoS Medicine, 10(7): e1001484. doi: doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.100148.
- Recker, M., Pybus, O.G., Nee, S. & Gupta, S. (2007) The generation of influenza outbreaks by a network of host immune responses against a limited set of antigenic types. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 104:7711-7716.
- Recker M et al (2004) Transient cross-reactive immune responses can orchestrate antigenic variation in malaria. Nature 429:555-558.
- Gupta S et al (1999) Immunity to severe malaria is acquired after one or two exposures. Nature Medicine 5:340-343
- Ferguson, N., Anderson, R.M. & Gupta, S. (1999) The effect of antibody dependent enhancement on the transmission dynamics and persistence of multiple strain pathogens. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 790-794
- Gupta, S., Ferguson, N. & Anderson, R.M. (1998) Chaos, persistence and the evolution of strain structure in populations of antigenically variable infectious agents. Science 240:912-915.
- Buckee CO et al (2008) Role of selection in the emergence of lineages and the evolution of virulence in Neisseria meningitidis. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA (39):15082-7.
- Gupta, S et al (1996) The maintenance of strain structure in populations of recombining infectious agents. Nature Medicine 2(4): 437-442.
- Gupta, S., Trenholme, K. Anderson, R.M. & Day, K.P. (1994) Antigenic diversity and the transmission dynamics of Plasmodium falciparum. Science 263, 961-963.
- Anderson, R.M., Gupta, S. & May, R.M. (1991) Potential of community-wide chemotherapy or immunotherapy to control the spread of HIV-1. Nature 350: 356-359.
- Gupta, S., Anderson, R.M. & May, R.M. (1989) Networks of sexual contacts: implications for the pattern of spread of HIV. AIDS 3: 807-817.