I am interested in the distribution and burden of inherited blood disorders. Despite a predicted increasing number of individuals affected both in high- and low-/middle-income countries, existing maps and population estimates for these disorders are mostly out of date. Using multidisciplinary skills acquired during my PhD (in forest entomology) and my post-doctoral experience, I apply contemporary mapping and modelling methods to contemporary collections of epidemiological data. Most of my work so far as focussed on haemoglobin S and C, but I am also involved in research on the Duffy blood group, G6PD deficiency and malaria. My research allows investigating both basic science questions, such as the spatial relationship between the distributions of the sickle cell gene and malaria, and applied science questions, such as the number of newborns affected by sickle cell disease at various scales.
Other aspects of my research that I would like to develop in the future include: the global cartography of other malaria selected disorders (typically, the thalassaemias and haemoglobin E) and of other medical conditions (e.g. phenylketonuria or diabetes) at sub-national level; the investigation of spatial and temporal changes in allele frequencies; the development of costs and mortality models for inherited blood disorders; or the spatial investigation of epistatic interactions between inherited blood disorders.
Phone: +44 (0) 1865 271 132
Inherited blood disorders
- Piel, F.B., Hay, S.I., Gupta, S., Weatherall, D.J. & Williams, T.N. (2013) Global burden of sickle cell anaemia in children under five, 2010–2050: modelling based on demographics, excess mortality, and interventions. PLoS Medicine,
10(7): e1001484. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.100148.
- Piel, F.B. (2013) La drépanocytose. Distribution géographique et estimation des populations atteintes. Médecine/Sciences, 29(6) (in press).
- Piel, F.B., Howes, R.E., Nyangiri, O.A., Moyes, C.L., Williams, T.N., Weatherall, D.J. and Hay, S.I. (2013) Online biomedical resources for malaria-related red cell disorders. Human Mutation, 34(7): 937-944. doi: 10.1002/humu.22330.
- Piel, F.B., Patil, A.P., Howes, R.H., Nyangiri, O.A., Gething, P.W., Williams, T.N., Weatherall, D.J. and Hay, S.I. (2013) The distribution of haemoglobin C and its prevalence in newborns in Africa. Scientific Reports, 3: 1671. doi:10.1038/srep01671.
- Piel, F.B., Patil, A.P., Howes, R.H., Nyangiri, O.A., Gething, P.W., Dewi, M., Williams, T.N., Weatherall, D.J. and Hay, S.I. (2013) Global epidemiology of sickle haemoglobin in neonates: a contemporary geostatistical model-based map and population estimates. The Lancet, 381(9861): 142-151. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61229-X.
- Howes, R.E., Piel, F.B., Patil, A.P., Nyangiri, O.A., Hogg, M.M., Battle, K.E., Gething, P.W., Baird, J.K. and Hay, S.I. (2012) G6PD deficiency prevalence and estimates of affected populations in malaria endemic countries: a geostatistical model-based map. PLoS Medicine. 9(11): e1001339. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001339.
- Grosse, S.D., Atrash, H.K., Odame, I., Amendah, D.D., Piel, F.B. and Williams, T.N. (2012) The Jamaican historical experience of the impact of educational interventions on sickle cell disease child mortality. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 42(6): e101– e103. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2012.03.005.
- Grosse, S.D., Odame, I., Atrash, H.K., Amendah, D.D., Piel, F.B. and Williams, T.N. (2011) Sickle cell disease in Africa: a neglected cause of early childhood mortality. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 41(6S4): S398-S405. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2011.09.013.
- Patil, A.P., Gething, P.W., Piel, F.B. and Hay, S.I. (2011) Bayesian geostatistics in health cartography. The perspective of malaria. Trends in Parasitology. 27(6): 246-253. doi: 10.1016/j.pt.2011.01.003.
- Howes, R.E., Patil, A.P, Piel, F.B., Nyangiri, O.A., Gething, P.W. Zimmerman, P, Barnadas, C., Beall, C., Gebremedhin , A., Ménard , D., Williams, T.N., Weatherall, D.J. and Hay, S.I. (2011) The global distribution of the Duffy blood group. Nature Communications. 2: 270. doi: 10.1038/ncomms1265.
- Piel, F.B., Patil, A.P., Howes, R.H., Nyangiri, O.A., Gething, P.W., Williams, T.N., Weatherall, D.J. and Hay, S.I. (2010) Global distribution of the sickle cell gene and geographical confirmation of the malaria hypothesis. Nature Communications. 2: 104 doi: 10.1038/ncomms1104.
- Piel, F., Gilbert, M., De Cannière, C. and Grégoire, J.C. (2008) Coniferous round wood imports from Russia and Baltic countries to Belgium. A pathway analysis for assessing risks of exotic pest insect introductions. Diversity and Distributions, 14(2): 318-328.
- Piel, F., Grégoire, J.C. and Knížek, M. (2006) New occurrence of Ips duplicatus Sahlberg in Herstal (Liege, Belgium). EPPO Bulletin, 36: 529–530.
- Piel, F., Gilbert, M., Franklin, A. and Grégoire, J.C. (2005) Occurrence of Ips typographus (Col., Scolytidae) along an urbanization gradient in Brussels, Belgium. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 7: 161–167.
- Huart, O., de Proft, M., Grégoire, J.C., Piel, F., Gaubicher, B., Carlier, F.X., Maraîte, H. and Rondeux J. (2003). Le point sur la maladie du hêtre en Wallonie. Forêt Wallonne, n°64.
- Grégoire, J.C., Piel, F., De Proft, M. and Gilbert, M. (2001). Spatial distribution of ambrosia-beetle catches: a possibly useful knowledge to improve mass-trapping. Integrated Pest Management Reviews. 6(3-4): 237-242.